About Me

My photo
Hello Everyone, My name is Pauline White and I am currently completing the Bachelor of Learning Management through Central Queensland University, Noosa Campus. Managing E-Learning is a course conducted within the program as it explores the technological competencies required within a 21st century connected society. Throughout this blog, I will expand and enhance my existing repertoire of technological competencies as I will analyse a variety of elearning tools and methodologies. This reflection and analysis will highlight the cultural and critical dimensions of technological literacies required in our ever changing teaching context. Blogging is a totally new experience for me and I am excited to begin this discovery journey with you.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Etherpads

Hi everyone,

After reading Kate Pollard’s blog about Etherpads I decided to trial this tool for myself. I discussed with Kate how this tool can possibly connect with The Engagement Theory. This discussion can be accessed here. Kate suggested using PrimaryPad to trial this tool.

After attempting to use the tool, I can see the great potential for the classroom context. Etherpad is a web-based word document that allows teachers and students to collaborate on a project. Each contribution is represented in a different colour and the program also allows students to instant message online. I believe this tool would make group work and the peer editing process a lot easier to manage and monitor. The tool is quite secure as one can determine who has access to view and edit the pad.

The PrimaryPad site offers 5 suggestions for using PrimaryPad in the classroom context, this can be accessed here. I can see great potential for using this tool with middle and upper primary, but I think this tool could pose some problems for the early years. I have never been in an early year classroom so this is just an assumption. I would love to hear your thoughts about the use of Etherpads in the early year context.

Cheers

Pauline

2 comments:

  1. Hi Pauline,
    Yes, as you saw on my Blog, Etherpads I believe have great potential within the classroom! From my personal experiences with this tool, I have found it easy to use and it is a great way to organise and manage collaborative work. I think this tool would indeed be applicable for any age group, but what is great about this tool is that younger children would be able to use it as well! After reading through your post, along with the knowledge of applications for this tool, I was thinking perhaps it could be used in a similar way to a virtual classroom? I know that this tool would be great to implement within school hours, but what about outside of school hours as well? Perhaps students could be asked to go onto the Pad after school and add one comment about something they learnt that day? As an engaging reflective source? What do you think? Do you have any other ideas for the application of this tool? I'm glad you enjoyed experimenting with it too!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate,

    I really like the idea of using Etherpads as a reflective source on what students learnt during the day. Reflection on learning is essential. This tool could also be an interesting way to set homework or even construct a class story. Just a few other ideas.
    Thanks for your comments Kate, they really got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete