About Me

My photo
Hello Everyone, My name is Pauline White and I am currently completing the Bachelor of Learning Management through Central Queensland University, Noosa Campus. Managing E-Learning is a course conducted within the program as it explores the technological competencies required within a 21st century connected society. Throughout this blog, I will expand and enhance my existing repertoire of technological competencies as I will analyse a variety of elearning tools and methodologies. This reflection and analysis will highlight the cultural and critical dimensions of technological literacies required in our ever changing teaching context. Blogging is a totally new experience for me and I am excited to begin this discovery journey with you.

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

RSS READER

Hi Followers,

I have recently set up my own RSS reader through my Google account. By setting up this tool I am able to manage my favourite sites and the blogs that I follow through the one easy access location. This has made life a lot easier and saved time as I don’t have to navigate around the web to multiple sites.

RSS stands for "Really Simple Syndication". This definition reflects the tool as it is a simple way to easily access a list of headlines, updated notices, and sometimes content at one location. Therefore websites whose content changes on unpredictable schedules can now be continuously monitored. The notifications through RSS reader are organized according to the latest feeds and are presented in an easy to follow format.

Most websites have RSS feeds and are represented by a little orange icon, once you know the URL of an RSS feed, you can provide that address to an RSS reader program and it will monitor the feed for you.

Some common uses for RSS readers are:
-Notification of the arrival of new products in a store online
-Listing and notifying you of newsletter issues, including email newsletters
-Weather, news and other alerts of changing conditions
-Notification of additions of new items to a database, or new members to a group
-Blog updates

Some Possible uses for the learning manager could include:
· Monitoring of students’ blogs, forums, and wikis
· Keeping to update with the fellow colleagues’ and professional experts’ opinions
· Staying informed about the latest technology and educational tools on the market
· Sharing global news notifications with the class and ensuring globally aware citizens are developed

I believe the key benefit of RSS reader is that it reduces time by managing a large amount of websites. With the speed of today’s society, time is of essence to all of us. I am grateful to have discovered this new tool and believe it will be a great advantage in my future classroom.

Regards Pauline

No comments:

Post a Comment